Righty or Lefty?

9.3.11


This has been something that has always intrigued me. Ryan and I both have members in our families who are left handed. I'm not, but my youngest sister is, and Ryan isn't either but from what I gather his Grannie was the only left-handed person in his family.

With Jacob I knew early on that he was right handed. It was never really something that crossed my mind. He had great fine motor skills and by age two was writing his name perfectly and holding a pen perfectly and always with his right hand.

Riley however is a mystery. It has only been the last couple weeks I've noticed or even started thinking about it. He is almost 2 and is doing things with both hands 50/50. In light of this new experience it has led me to do what I always do......

Google. hehe

Here's what I have learned so far:

- Talk to your doctor
- Do NOT attempt to influence your childs preference. Doing this won't work in the long run and will only confuse or frustrate your child along the way.
-  Many children may be ambidextrous (using both hands equally) until they're 5 or 6, before they finally make a choice.
- It can most commonly be determined by observing which hand is predominantly held close to the mouth.

I am not making any conclusions yet, and by the time he starts school he may not even be a lefty so we'll see what happens. Till then I will just continue to offer him things like pens, pencils, forks and spoons and toys so he can choose for himself which hand he will reach for things with.



1 comments:

Lori: Teacher Turned Mommy said...

I have a lefty and a righty, but both do things with both hands at times still. cute pictures of your little guy

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP