Home Schooling?

5.3.10


As most of my readers know, I have decided to send Jacob to public school. The schools around here are great! It is so wonderful to be able to send Jacob to a school where he can learn in a Christian environment. It is a predominantly Christian community, where they still do optional bible lessons and prayer at school. This is almost unheard of in many public schools/cities in Canada.

If we had of stayed in NS Ryan and I would have home schooled for sure, I didn't want him having to drive almost 2 hrs/day to school and back to go to the nearest Christian school.

BUT.......

I have finally decided to order Jacob a K5 kindergarten child kit from ABeka. This will not interfere with him starting kindergarten in September. Don't worry, I have no hidden agenda of starting him early. Schools won't take children unless they have turned 5 by their December deadline anyway.

Included in kit:

  • 40495 My Blend and Word Book
  • 53686 Basic Phonics Readers Set
  • 26484 Letters and Sounds K
  • 53651 Miniature Alphabet Flashcards
  • 60119 Kindergarten Writing Tablet Manuscript
  • 60127 Writing with Phonics K5 Manuscript
  • 47333 Numbers Skills K
  • 53929 Numbers Writing Tablet
I also want to order a separate Art kit. We love doing projects together, and this would really help with providing the supplies needed. Who doesn't love doing crafts?!

https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=26409

Art Projects K

Forty-seven projects in this colorful book introduce students to basic concepts of art and give them a variety of opportunities to color, paint, trace, draw, cut, and glue with a variety of materials. Month-by-month projects correlate with academics, Bible teaching, and the seasons. Order one per student.
Code Number: 26409
Grade: K5"
.


He is turning 5 in April, and has a love of learning. I want to take that love of learning and begin in the home. He has 7 more months before he starts school and I don't want him to get so bored with where he is now.

I know some may be wondering why I would bother when it's just a few months away, or wonder why since he will be doing the exact work again, but he already knows it. He will be re-reviewing everything regardless. He has been doing everything the kids in kindergarten have been doing since he was 3. This will just be more structured. Kindergarten is a great way to ease into the school scene. It is filled with children the same age, a fun and inviting classroom, they get to learn how to sit in their desk, listen to their teacher, learn a routine, get familiar with a big school, the bells, making friends and so much more. Kindergarten is not just about learning the alphabet. Plus, another thing that I LOVE is that kindergarten is only half days. He will be home before noon every day.

I will set aside a certain ammt. of time every morning for school. I only wish I had of done this last year when he turned 4. They also have a great K4 kit, and even earlier years "nursery" kit.

I realize every child is different, and I may not do this with my next two children. But Ryan and I have been talking about this for over 2 years now and we just now decided to make it happen.

Jacob just loves one on one time as well. Wether we are playing with his toys together, baking or doing a craft. It will be great to have that time that is 'his'.

With a little coming from income tax this month we have decided to put some towards the cost of his books.

12 comments:

Lori: Teacher Turned Mommy said...

I don't think parents can do too much with their children as long as they aren't pushing the child beyond the child's natural abilities. the further ahead he is the better he will be off in kindergarten and all the other grades

tatum810 said...

I am from FF and I am now folowing you!!!Happy Friday
http://tatumsreviews.blogspot.com/

Joy said...

Hi Shanilie, thanks for dropping by my blog today. Your blog is very appealing -- you've done a great job designing it. It's great to "meet" you and I will definitely be back!

Joy

http://www.joyinthisjourney.com

Xenia said...

Good for you, whatever works best for you and your family is exactly what should be done!

Thanks for stopping by, I'm following you now as well. :)

Margaret said...

Thanks for the Friday Follow! Following back, have a great weekend!

3LittleMonkeys said...

That's great that he is so interested in learning! My 4 year old is in preschool right now but he would rather play than learn! Maybe someday that will change ;)

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

I am following you back!Come back on tuesday and join in the homschool hop!

Mom et al said...

Hi, I'm your newest Friday follower!

Come visit me at Mom-et-al.com

-Maria

/

SLN said...

I sooooo want to talk about this- I hae friends that Home School AND truthfully, I have never fully understood why ... I 'm just being honset- no one has ever reallygiven me any reason other than they were bullied in second grade- anyway, seriously, I want to know more about this dilemma ... cause I so get wanting to keep the kids near by- BUT we have geat school here too ... really, we do ... UGGHHH!!

Carolina Girl said...

Shanilie,

Good for you. I think it is a parents job to oversee and manage the education of their children whether they are homeschooled or sent to a public/private school. The educational success of your children will ultimately rest on you believe it or not, NOT the school you send them to. By the way, Abeka is a good choice.

Melissa said...

I think it's great you are starting early and "feeding" his intrest!

Erica Hildebrand said...

We're definitely considering homeschooling our girls, just because the schools here in this town are not GOOD AT ALL!!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP