A Good Question

12.3.10

Since moving to MB I have loved the town we are in. It is small, but it is still HUGE compared to where I was living before. The school is in my backyard and every morning there are tons of children walking to school. There are so many fun programs around. They have a hockey rink at the school, and an arena filled with various activities.

But what I have loved most is their mommy meets at the Super Start program.
It is specifically made for moms and young kids to come together. Once a month I meet with all kinds of moms and their children. Each meet they have different topics: breastfeeding, miscarriage, eating healthy. You name it. They try to find topics that moms face. There is someone who stays with the kids while they play together. It is a great time had by all.

What stuck out at this last get together was our topic. Instead of a guest speaker from public health coming in, they asked us one question.
When your kids are old and moved out, how do you want them to remember you? We all had to share in a one word answer.

SO many moms said they wanted their kids to describe them as patient. Other moms said supportive. There were so many different answers from all of the moms. To be different from all the answers that were given I thought of the word joy. I want my kids to see a mommy filled with joy.

I have a joy for life that has always been with me. Any close friends who know me, know this. I have always been full of enthusiasm. Always finding something to laugh about. In school I was always known for by my laugh.
Yes, there will be up days and down days filled with obstacles to face day to day, but I want my children to see the JOY I have and hopefully see that maybe it will be contagious.

Now, whatever I am doing with my kids, whether I am finding special things to do together or whether they are 'behaving' or not that question goes through my head.

How do you want your kids to remember you when they are older?

9 comments:

MsBabyPlan said...

This post is so sweet. It makes you thing. Happy life is what many people strive for, isn't it? when you have joy in your life support and patient tie together.

I love your answer: joy. Once I have children I would like them to remember me as a joyful mother, who gave them joy and show them how to enjoy life in a positive way.

Kris (Good Steward) said...

Happy Friday Follow! I came across your blog from One2Try. Hope you get a chance to stop by my blog for a little visit! I promise you will find a sweet little girl over there...hehe.

The Amazing Life of Z. Camille

Enjoy your weekend!

Lori: Teacher Turned Mommy said...

hmmm that is a great question. one word is hard. I like the answers that came up, but I'm not sure they are the right words for me. If you asked me as a teacher my word would probably be consistent or persistent. As a mother I think I'd want my sons to think of me as caring. I care about them in the typical way of taking care of their well being, but I also care about their learning, their growth their personalities their whole self. So I think caring would be the best word for me.

3LittleMonkeys said...

I'm thinking Joy is a good one too! It's hard to use just one word!

I sometimes wished we lived in a small town.....the community life is usually better!

Stam House said...

Blessed, I pray that they would remember that they were a blessing for me send by God.

That they blessed my husband an I by being who they are and not who they could be!

Thanks for this question :-)

Renee

Heather McDougle said...

This is a great post!

I'm following you from Friday Follow!
Heather
http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com/

Sarah Lynne said...

Happy Sunday. I am a new Friday Follower!!

Sarah

sarahsblogoffun.blogspot.com

Carolina Girl said...

You're answer gave me goose-bumps. Seriously it did. That is exactly what I would say. I knew I liked you for a reason.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP