Facebook VS Blog

4.2.10

Don't worry, this post is not bashing either bloggers or Facebook users. It is going to be a few of the things I have noticed from my time using both.....well, maybe I'll defend the blog - a little.

Have you ever heard anyone say to you that you're spending too much time on your blog?

Or say, "It must take up a lot of time to do a blog post?"

I have heard every variation of these comments. and it's usually from family, close friends and community members. It is from people who have never blogged a day
in their lives, who assume you spend every waking moment in front of the computer which is just - untrue. It really bugs me.

The blog: I can't say enough good things about blogging. It has always been a

- Personal, unique, fun outlet for me to express myself
- A place to share, encourage and meet other moms

- Place to record my childrens milestones
- Place to get my creative juices flowing with different blog de
signs, headers and buttons
- A Place to learn how to better my photography and the pros go on and on.....


On Facebook you can find almost anyone you knew from way back in the first grade at school. Or you can find people who you went to school with or graduated with. You can find people you work with, people you went to post-secondary with or you can find your friends. You can keep in touch via the wall, the super wall, the poke, or the messaging (which is just like email). You can send people fish, flowers, or plants. You can send free gifts, you can send gifts You can participate in many activities such as food fights, pets, pirates, zombies, poker, etc. You can join clubs that range from everything like what it was like to be a child in the 80's or to help your friends achieve some kind of internet stardom or celebrity or you can join just nonsense clubs. You can do quiz's that will leave links on your note page, you can write notes about random stuff...kind of like a blog.

You can hug people, or if you choose to you can poke people....you can Instant message on facebook now. You can create photo albums to share with your friends and you can have as many pictures as you would like. You can even post videos. You can rate your friends and have to
p friends lists. You can tell people what kind of mood you are in. You can support causes, you can countdown to important events. You can tell your friends what you like, you can tell them all the places you've visited. I mean look at all the stuff you can do on Facebook.....it's outrageous. It's like it's own little world over there. So I fully understand fully why people are drawn to Facebook. I know I have been.

I guess my overall consesus is that when I am finished playing Farmtown, Farmville, Fishville, Yoville, Petville, Scrabble, Wordscraper and writing notes, reading & commenting on peoples status', uploading pictures, videos andwriting my own new status' every couple of hours I find I can spend just as much or more time on Facebook than I do on updating my blog and visiting other blog friends. Now, I don't use all of those Facebook applications, but I am giving you an idea of how one could spend their time on Facebook.

I will continue to try and blog faithfully, I am guilty - I have let myself be so drawn into Facebook that I have gone through weeks/months without updating my blog. My overall point is to conclude that a lot of time can be spent on either. It just seems that Facebook is more accepted as a time consumer. I think it would be accurate to say that facebook users can do exactly what bloggers do - and more, and facebook users can spend the same ammt. of time - and more than bloggers.

I did a bit of research that I thought you might find interesting. As of Jan. 2007 there were an estimated 15+ million active bloggers and a total of 70 million active and non-active blog users.


As of June 2009 there was an estimated 175 million Facebook users. That is a LOT! No wonder people still scrutinize bloggers.


10 comments:

Crystal HW said...

So true! Sure facebook has it uses, but it can be addicting and time consuming if one is not careful.

People who judge how long things take without trying them first but me too!

Devoted Mama said...

I can see both sides of the coin as you do Shanilie. Having done both (blog & fb) I agree 100% w/everything you've stated here.

I can't believe it but the 13th of this month will be a year since I've posted on my blog! I haven't deleted my blog because I go to it occasionally & visiting my friends from my blogroll. I reactivated my fb for the simple point that it's alot easier to me to keep up w/those same friends (& more friends & family as well) thru fb. I don't participate in any of the fb apps but I'm sure if I did, I'd spend WAY more time than I do.

I guess it's just a matter of which a person prefers. I won't bash either because I feel both are a GREAT way to keep in touch w/family & friends :)

Great post Shanilie :)

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

Stopping by from "2 Much Testosterone". Had to comment on this, because I wrote a similar post a few weeks ago!

I was one of the first Facebook users. My college was a test market for the "beta" version, so I've been on it for 6+ years. I've actually done the opposite from you-- abandoned FB for blogger!!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Krystal said...

I'm just getting into FaceBook. I don't do any of the games and stuff but i find it a great way to keep in touch and reconnect with people. I used to be really anti-Fb, but i just didn't know what it was all about.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you'll keep coming 'round. I would love to get more readers but don't really know how to expand my readership, so if you know anyone who might like it, pass it along.

Thanks! :)

Shell said...

I used to be addicted to fb. Now, I check it about once a day. I'm blog-addicted.

Ute said...

Ohh, to be honest, never checked out facebook, till today I've never been there. Seems I need to check it out. But honestly, I can perfectly live with blogger, love it and it just suits me.

Viele Grüße von
Ute

Stacey said...

I get those annoying comments from family and some friends too. Like you said, they come from people that have never blogged a day in their lives.
Also, as a stay at home mom with a baby and a toddler, this is my way of feeling like I am talking to other adults out there. It keeps me from bombarding my husband with a million thoughts and conversations the second he walks through the door.

I'm definitely pro-blogger and pro-facebooker. It can be time consuming and I have to be careful, but the pro's outweight the con's in my book.
Enjoyed your blog. Following now. ;-)

Debbie said...

I have my blog, FB, and twitter. I spend almost no time on twitter and still don't truly understand it. I use FB to communicate with my college kids. But my blog is my baby:)

Rita A. said...

I guess I need to spend more time on my facebook. I spend a lot of time on my blog. Thanks for participating in Friday Follow. I am catching up to the links. Rita @ http://one2try.blogspot.com/

Maureen said...

I like FB for light stuff, but blogging is more in depth. I have to be careful with FB - I can spend hours on it and not accomplish anything. I'm not sure how it's possible, it's like FB is in a temporal worm hole or something.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP