Solids

20.1.10

Since Riley turned 6 months we have been introducing solids. We started with rice cereal, then we expanded to barley, wheat and oat cereal. I haven't tried any of the mixed cereals yet, just single grains.

Then, after a few weeks we gave him some squash. I peel it, and boil it all up till soft then put a little formula in it then blend it in my magic bullet. I LOVE it! It works so well for big or small jobs.

I know some who just use food from their own plates, but it is very rare that I cook potatoes, carrots etc. without adding other milk, butter or seasonings. I know I could probably set some aside, but I like the fact that I can do a big batch then freeze it in ice cube trays in the freezer.
I also keep a few empty food jars that I had with Jacob. That way if I am on the go I throw a cube or two in a jar. SO easy. and honestly I don't want to have to be interrupted every meal preparing little bits of food when I can make a lot all at once.

I have also tried carrots and I just bought a sweet potato that is sitting on my counter ready to be boiled. I love trying new vegetables. Some have told me to give him regular mashed potatoes but there are hardly any nutrients in a white potato than the nice bright colored vegetables like carrots, sweet potato and squash.

I have seen others recently blend lasagna (filled with cheese, cottage cheese, noodles, seasonings, FAT and a whole lot of other things) to a baby younger than Riley. I have also recently seen someone give their baby younger than Riley ice cream. *cringing. I guess I like to stick to what is recommended. So far Riley has been loving everything. It hasn't been much, maybe 1-2 table spoons at most at a time.

Looking forward to introducing fruit in the near future. Starting with bananas.

Were there any foods your children loved in their first months of eating solids?

1 comments:

Amy said...

Hello there! Thanks for the comment on my blog this week.
My son is 15 but when he was a baby I made all his food too, despite the fact that I worked full time. It's just something I wanted to do to start him out eating healthy solid foods and not the processed jarred stuff. I think his favorite was sweet potatoes that I would thin with milk or a little apple juice. I froze his food in ice cube trays too and sent it to his babysitter each day. I think my mid-late 20s is when I started learning to cook if only to make his food for him. It was certainly worth it.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP