Jacob - A Big Brother

10.8.09

Jacob's jumping on the trampoline, Riley is sleeping, the house is quiet and I am going to blog!

How on earth do you choose a few pictures to share from a photo filled month?! It is hard to do, but I have narrowed it down to five. Several people have been asking me how Jacob is adjusting to being a big brother. So this post is all about Jacob.

Jacob has been the big man of the house for the last four years. Four years is a long time, but on June 16th Riley was born which changed a lot of things. I prepared Jacob by showing him various pregnancy books, the occasional TLC baby story, and getting him involved as best I could talking/kissing my belly. He really understood a lot more than I thought he would.

All throughout my pregnancy Jacob would ask, baby come soon? And I would answer excitedly back how many sleeps it would be. He was almost as excited for Riley's arrival as we were.

To be honest, I haven't seen a whole lot of changes in Jacob's attitude since Riley joined our family. Whenever Riley cries he always goes to the fridge looking for a bottle thinking that the bottle is what Riley wants. He enjoys holding Riley and always wants to give kisses. Occasionally Jacob will plug his ears if Riley is ever loud "look at previous posts pic".

Jacob seems to be having too much fun, and is constantly going somewhere staying busy to notice all the changes around him. This last month Jacob decided not to nap anymore, so instead, he has an hour quiet time. If anything, he seems a little more tired than usual with not napping, plus there are people around all the time so I think it is an adjustment for Jacob to know his boundaries. But then again, I am not the most upbeat person - slightly irritable when I don't get my sleep either lol. and Jacob without sleep - not a good mix. Jacob has also been a little more cuddly lately as well which I am glad for. He never used to sits long enough to enjoy a good cuddle so I'm happy.

Sometimes I ask myself if I regret not having Riley sooner, though there are 2 sides to every coin, and pros and cons to ever situation, I am glad we decided to wait. Jacob will be in school next fall, I don't need to worry about sibling rivalry for a few more yrs, nor have to change 2 sets of bums, or jealousy issues. Jacob is very self-sufficient. He can dress himself, eat himself, buckle himself in the car and a whole lot more. I am very thankful Jacob loves being a protective, loving big brother. Riley will definiely look up to him - and already does :)






7 comments:

Lori: Teacher Turned Mommy said...

glad things are going pretty smoothly for you and your guys!

SarahHub said...

What a great big brother! And so very cute...

Devoted Mama said...

Hi Shanilie! What a precious big boy Jacob is growing up to be! He's sooo cute & has grown so much! He's such a wonderful big brother too! Isn't it fun watching your baby w/his brother :) Very cute pics!

Devoted Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

Sweet! I can't wait to see my little boy become a big brother in December! :)

Maureen said...

I'm glad things are going well. Four years is supposed to be ideal spacing, or so I've read. In our household, #4 and #5 are four years apart and #4 has only recently forgiven #5 for being born (he's 10, so it's taken a long time). #4 was nothing like Jacob though. She was super shy and attached to me. If we went to the park and other kids were there, she would just sitm in my lap and watch everyone.

Keira said...

He's growing up so fast! And what a great mix he is of you and Ryan.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP