Mish Mash

26.10.07

In case any of you were wondering, I did end up failing my financial services exam. I was told about 60% of people fail the first try, so in my class of 12 eight of us will be getting together this Sunday and doing a re-write. No biggie....just VERY disappointing! Ryan passed, and was very encouraging to me. He even came home with a rose after work that afternoon. I said "aww, I get a rose for failing?" he still insists that he was just trying to be spontaneous. lol I guess you can decide.
~
This blog started out as a place to record Jacob's growth and dev
elopment but I haven't done a very good job of that lately. I haven't recorded anything in MONTHS!
~
Here is a quick overview of the latest happenings in the life of Jacob.

~
1. Back in July before Ryan left for basic training, Jacob POOPED in the potty for the very first time! He was making GREAT progress in the potty training department ..... until Ryan left. I don't know if
it was a guy thing, but after Ryan left Jacob refused to use the potty. So that was put on hold till Ryan came home. Long story short, Jacob is completely trained.....only when he is naked.....lol so that really doesn't count. But when it is just Jacob and I in the house during the quiet days when everyone is gone I don't mind him running around without a diaper. We have a pail that he likes to stand behind and pee. Yes, lol my boy doesn't like to sit on the potty any more. He likes to stand and go. Wants to be like his daddy I guess lol. I put water in the pail and he likes to hear the sound when the pee hits the water. The way I came up with this idea was one day we were outside and I hear this splashing noise - Jacob had pulled down his pants and started peeing in the cats water dish with perfect accuracy and all. I had laughed my head off at that, changed the cats water and he has been peeing standing up ever since.
~
2. Jacob puts his own sneakers on and zipped up his coat by himself for the first time yesterday. He loves doing ted
ious things with his hands and is very good with his fine motor skills. I tried to help him and he completely refused. He is a very determined little boy, even if it is driving him nuts and getting frustrated in the process.
~
3. Jacob has been counting to 10+ for months now, singing his abc's, knows his shapes and colors and so much
more. In the last week or so he has been taking off in the talking
depa
rtment. Every day he continues to amaze me with the new things he has learned.
~
4. He ALWAYS answerers the phone when it rings. He runs as fast as he can to the counter to pick it up. He likes to get there before I do.

Here are a few ideas to help your child with learning their colors:

  1. 1. Freezes in summer really helped Jacob. Turns out, the purple and blue ones are his favorite lol.
  2. Coloring in his Thomas The Train Coloring book. He is always saying the color he wants before he grabs it.
  3. LEGO - his favorite thing in the world to play with right now is Lego. For months he has been building little homes etc. We don't own any, so he does this when he is visiting Grammie. My mom has a ton of Lego left from when we we children. So Ryan and I have decided that Lego will be our gift to Jacob for Christmas. I am not looking forward to the mess it makes, but it keeps him occupied for hours and it is something that the two of us will enjoy doing together. He says the color of the piece of Lego as he is grabbing it.
  4. He has several different color blankets for bed-time. He counts each and every one of them and gets upset if even one is missing. We found this out as early as six months of age when I put him to bed with a strange blanket because I had all of his usuals in the washing machine. Now I have learned to do the laundry in the morning so that ALL of his bedding is ready for evening. This boy is OBSESSED with routine. Some times I will even just wash a few then the other few so I had to tuck him in bed without his yellow blanket. He cried for quite a while saying 'lellow one'.

Last night on our routine evening walk together we picked some daisy's and I showed him the "he loves me, he loves me not" idea. We have done this quite a few times, but last night clear as anything he was saying it as he very carefully pulled off each petal. It was all slurred together so it ended up sounding something like this "low-me-no" He sure makes me smile.

So that is the summary of his development in the last few months. Now that I am caught up I will post about the details a little more specifically and ON TIME as they come.

9 comments:

Robyn said...

Sounds like our sons would be friends! My son is very into routines, too. He has so many stuffed animals, pillows and blankets he can't sleep without, I think I may have to move him out of his toddler bed and into a regular bed just so he has room for everything!!

Andrea said...

Awww! He is looking cuter by the moment...and so grown up too! Thanks for the good ideas on learning colors too...I'm sure those will come in useful for us in a little bit! :) And I LOVE it when kids start to answer the phone! it's so adorable! :)

Andrea said...

It's me again! I thought I linked to MommyKnows on my post about the Grade one pictures...but I just realized I didn't! so the link to her blog is: http://mommyknows.com/

thomasscholllmt said...

The boys real cute. I hope he can find fun joy and learning at our site.
Thanks for visiting www.brendasfiends.com. As I said I am happily adding you to our blogroll called Brenda's Friends.

PamperingBeki said...

You're doing a great job mom. :)

He's a DOLL too!!

thomasscholllmt said...

Thanks for visiting www.brendasfiends.com. As I said I am happily adding you to our blogroll called Brenda's Friends.

Shanilie said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. What a great way to meet other mom's and share in our experiences.

Thanks Andrea for the link. I had a lot of fun doing my grade one photo's post. These events are so fun to participate in!

Carmichael Family said...

Hi Shanilie,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to meet you! You little guy is so cute, and I loved reading all about his latest milestones.
I too was a teacher before I had kids who I am now at home with full time (for now). I taught kindergarten. What age did you teach?
Blessings,
Catherine

laura said...

Hey :)
I can't believe what a big boy Jacob became!
Amazing! Can't wait to see you in december :)
xoxo

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP