Soft Gingerbread

25.9.07

--> I finally got a chance to update Jacob's blog. Feel free to go check it out!

Gingerbread

1/2 Cup Oil/shortening
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1 Beaten egg
1 Cup molasses
2 1/2 Cups flower
1 1/2 Teaspoons baking soda
2 Heaping teaspoons ginger
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of cloves
1 Cup boiling water

Cream sugar and shortening together then add beaten egg and molasses. Stir dry ingredients together then stir into egg mixture. Add boiling water. Bake in 375 degree oven for 35 minutes or until cooked through the center.

Sauce:

1/2 Cup white sugar
1 teaspoon flour
1 Cup boiling water
2 Teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine all ingredients together in a sauce pan. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer and stirring till slightly thickened.

I rarely ever blog about recipes but Donna at Blessings of Love inspired me to participate in her idea for recipe sharing. It is great to get new ideas. This recipe is an old time favorite in my family. It is SO tasty, easy to make, and very addictive. I rarely ever make desserts, but when I do, this one is usually at the top of my list. Most of the recipes I use are old family favorites that have been passed down through the years. I love trying new recipes but more often than not I find myself going to my great great great grandmothers tried, tested and true recipes. Try it! You won't be disappointed and you will love it SO much you will be dying for more! I come from a family of HEALTH FREAKS so we never have sweets in the house very often. But anything in moderation is key! I know some may think that sugar causes hyperactive children but that is a false statement -my family (many of whom are medical professionals), many others and I don't believe that for a second. Here are a few quick health tips that I like to incorporate in most of my recipes:

- Use whole wheat flour in place of white flour
- Add ground flax in any cooking as it is rich in Omega 3 and has virturally no taste
- Use half of the reccomended oil (use vegetable oils instead of animal fat)
- Use brown sugar instead of white as it isn't ground to the "sugar cane" like white sugar. Or use honey or use Splenda for any diabetics out there
- Use things like walnuts, sunflower seeds, pecans, or rasins in place of chocolate chips
- Add oatmeal
- Use egg whites instead of the whole egg


My mom does this to MOST of her cooking....I try to for a lot of things and always have a bag of flax to add to WHATEVER....even pancakes....and guess what?! Her cooking still tastes GREAT! and you don't have to worry that eating a cookie or any treat for that matter is going to hurt you. I love to have 'real fruit' gummies, cheerios, granola bars, raisins, and yes....sour cream and onion rice chips lol. Those are my favorite. HURRAY!!! Now we can eat anything everyone else eats...just re-vamped a little and we don't have to have a child sitting beside us in tears because everyone is eating 'sweets' except them.

10 comments:

Donna said...

Thanks for sharing. Great for this season too!!

HeiressChild said...

looks good shanile, and i'm going try it. also, applesauce is a good replacement for oil (maybe use part of each), and egg beaters can be used in place of whole eggs.


i was going to post this on your vaccinations blog, but i didn't know if you would go back, plus others may be interested in this as well. it's in our today's newspaper:

Prince George's County has barred as many as 2,300 students from school for failing to receive state-mandated vaccines for chicken pox and hepatitis B.

School spokeswoman Tanzi West was unsure of the exact number of students sent home, but the count of students who hadn't complied on Thursday, the last day of a 20-day grace period, was 2,317.

Students on that list were sent home Monday if they did not have proof that they had been vaccinated or had scheduled an appointment for a shot. Students unable to show proof were sent home.

The county and the school system are operating clinics where students can receive free immunizations.


i know the shots are mandatory here, and i was curious to know how the school system handles it. well, now i know.

Shanilie said...

Donna: You're welcome :) You're right, I never thought of that, but this would be a great fall dessert!

Sylvia: Thank you for the article clipping. I can't believe that over 2000 students were sent home. I didn't think that many people hadn't recieved their up to date shots. I am glad that schools are taking a stand because I am sure they don't want an epedemic on their hands.

It is the same here, you have to have your immunization record with you when you enroll for school.

I ever thought of the apple sauce tip! Thank you, that would add some moisture as well as good flavor! Try it....you will LOVE it! Def. let me know what you think when you do :)

Summer said...

I will have to try this recipe at christmas time. I am always looking for a new recipe for gingerbread!

HeiressChild said...

hi shanilie, my daughter says sometimes before her 2-yr old daughter goes to bed at nite, or sometimes if she wakes up during the night & wants a snack, she gives her fruit snacks/gummie bears. i think even though they're a light snack, it's still too heavy to eat and go right to sleep on. i thought she should give her daughter something more of a consistency like yogurt or applesauce. what do you and your medical relatives say? it's not often.

Shanilie said...

Sylvia: Here is some info. I found. My family pretty much said the same thing but I also wanted to do more research....

My only concern is the bold section of this clipping:

"Countless parents and grandparents swear that little ones become uncontrollable when they eat too much sugar. Yet, multiple studies have produced no credible evidence that sugar causes hyperactivity.

If anything, sugar may have a calming effect. That's because carbohydrates, including sugar, allow a high concentration of the neurotransmitter serotonin to be produced in the brain. Neurotransmitters are biochemical messengers of the brain, and serotonin is one that carries a soothing message.

However, there are,a few researchers who are open to the remote possibility that sugar may trigger a reaction in a very small percentage of children. They say that perhaps genetics and environment interact to make sugar perform as a stimulant, the opposite of what is expected.

Even those who allow for the possibility that sugar could trigger hyperactivity agree it would be a vary rare occurrence. Experts say that when parents see radical changes in their children's behavior they are often too quick to blame sugar, rather than the excitement of Halloween, Christmas or a birthday party. Even the fact that your child is allowed the freedom to eat sugar, if it's ordinarily restricted, could be enough to trigger excited behavior.


The two legitimate complaints against sugar are that it can cause tooth decay if eaten as part of a sticky food and left in the mouth to produce acid, and it takes the place of more nutritious foods in the diet.

Shanilie said...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/
mi_m0854/is_n12_v15/ai_n18606232

This site was the where I got that clipping from. I hope that this helps. I agree that a more filling snack such as yogurt or applesauce....or even a piece of toast would be better but I would think that sticky gummies at bed time would make for a future cavity. But I think we all from time to time enjoy a little 'junk food' in bed lol. Thanks for the comment.

HeiressChild said...

thank you so much shanilie. you have been so helpful. i called my daughter and read this to her. we were talking about all of this last nite, and i told her i'm going to ask shanilie because she has relatives who are in the medical profession, so we'll see what they say. *lol* this was good because she said she never thought about the stickiness staying on the teeth if her daughter eats fruit snacks during the night.

i was dealing with the yogurt and applesauce more from the digestion point of view since my granddaughter will be going right back to sleep. my daughter says you don't have to sit up for food to digest; that it will digest even lying down. however, i was taught to stay up for a bit so food can digest and even now, if i'm not going to be up for a couple of hours after eating, i'll eat something like oatmeal or cream of wheat rather than something heavier, to allow the food to digest.

do you give jacob a snack before his bedtime? does he ever wake up wanting something to drink or eat? it's not often my granddaughter wakes up wanting something, but she always has a little snack before bedtime. i just thought fruit snacks were too heavy to sleep on. *lol* first i was protective mom, now i'm protective grandmom. *lol* it was just a discussion my daughter and i were having. interesting!

HeiressChild said...

forgot, will make up your interview questions, then email them to you, then you can post them on your blog along with your answers. thanx for participating.

Wendy said...

yummy! I have heard about adding flax seed! Where do you get that in the grocery store?

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP