Father's Day -Long overdue update-

19.6.07

I know it has been ages since I have updated my blog. With packing and trying to spend every moment possible with my hubby there has been NO time. Ryan leaves in 12 days. *sniff sniff* I have no idea how we are going to get through this but I guess we will have to. Boxes are piling up all around the house. It is like walking through a maze over here. Making it impossible to make the house look clean. I have packed the smaller things but things like the TV etc are going to stay.

The weather here has been beautiful and we have been living outside lately. On Saturday Ryan and I mowed the cemetery across the road. It is a little extra cash for the summer months which is nice.

We had a bon fire at my parents place in the evening. No mosquitoes, no rain, just perfect. We bought graham crackers and chocolate chips and score bar pieces with marshmallows to make smores. I have never done that before. Yum.

I am a firm believer in early bed times for kids as well as adults, but lately that has not been working out too well. Because it is so light outside and because we are away so much it has been impossible. I don't think there has been a night where Jacob hasn't gone to bed at 10PM or later. Ryan and I have been getting to bed around midnight. Usually, Jacob is in bed between 7:30-8PM and Ryan and I like to be in bed between 9:30-10. Oh well, maybe when the time changes back in the fall.

Here is a little shout out to all the amazing Dad's out there. It is a little late but it is central to my post topic for today. (pictures of Daddy and Jacob together since birth)

................~Happy Father's Day!~.............


On Sunday we enjoyed a wonderful Father's Day service at church. I have read the book of Job many times, but it seems the more I study it, the more I find things that blow me away. It is also one of my favorite books in the bible. I can't re-give the message that the pastor gave but I will try to paraphrase a few points that really stuck. I found this very fitting for Father's Day.

"and his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all. : for Job said, it may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually." Job 1:4-5 KJV

These two verses really showed me what kind of man Job was. He was a man of God, he valued his family more than his possessions and cared for his children's spiritual welfare. Parents today can show the same concern for their children by praying for their children. This means "sacrificing" some time each day to ask God to forgive them, to help them grow, to protect them, and to help them please Him. Job asked God for forgiveness for the sins that his family had committed. This demonstrated that Job did not consider himself sinless. Job did this out of conviction and love for God.

In the business and stresses today, there are so many things that can take us away from our families. Job continually did this for ALL of his 10 children, early in the morning. That is a lot of prayers and I am sure time consuming too. Not only that, they all took turns feasting and spending frequent time with family. Family is very important to me. I moved a lot since I was born and haven't spent more than three years in a row in one place. Now that I have a child and a family of my own I have realized even more how important family is. Not possessions, not having the best clothes, the best car, a big beautiful house etc. I have to admit that I do not set enough time aside during my day for time with God. When the alarm clock goes off in the morning, Jacob gets up then we get ready for our day. Then when bedtime comes we usually go right to sleep.

What an amazing example of a love of a parent (father) as this could apply to all of us that Job showed in just those two verses. I found this very convicting. Who knew that a message on Father's Day would have lessons for all of us.

Ryan has a huge heart and love for his family and for God. This was one of the many reasons that I fell in love with him. He is a wonderful Dad and Jacob is so lucky to have a man like Ryan to look up to. Not every child is so fortunate.

11 comments:

Summer said...

Hi Shanilie,

What a wonderful post. I totally agree with you about getting kids to bed early when it is so bright out. All three of my kids have problems going to sleep when it is so bright out. Beautiful pics.

Happy Fathers Day to Ryan!!

connie said...

Great post! I agree about having difficulty getting kids to sleep when it's still light outside. W/Justin being out of school for summer, we've been more lenient w/him about bedtime though & let him stay up a little later. We've continued to keep Kendall on his schedule though~Kendall likes his little schedule ;) I can't believe it's almost time for you guys to move~it's went by so quickly! I know you all must be excited!! I know it'll be tough on you & Jacob while Ryan's gone but your blogger friends are here for you :) Take care my good blogger friend! (((hugs)))

That Chick Over There said...

What wonderful pictures!!!

Ingrid said...

Jacob is so adorable!!!! how i wish my son would go back to that age and size, ha ha, wishful thinking on my part. i hope you spend as much time as you can with your son, coz i tell you, they grow up so fast . . . right before your nose. the collage you made for your husband is such a great idea. you are really talented when it comes to that. sorry to hear that he's about to leave, but don't worry, you'll get by. i'll be praying for you, as always.

HeiressChild said...

hi shanilie, i love your family pics of ryan and jacob, and i love your blog post pic of you and jacob. they're all so beautiful. family is very important.

that's a great Bible message. my children are married with children of their own, and i pray for them all. my daughter will call me for prayer without a moment's hesitation.

i'm glad you're getting a lot of packing done while ryan's there. i know you'll miss him, but i'm glad it's just a short-term separation.

i don't like the dark--never did, even as a child. always slept with a nite lite on, and now i have a 15-watt light in my bedroom i keep on, plus i keep the living room light on at nite. for me, it's something about light so i have no problem sleeping while it's still daylight outside.

pinks & blues girls said...

It is so evident from your post and from these pictures what a fabulous husband and father your Ryan is! I am so sorry that he will have to be away from you and your beautiful son.

So glad I visited! I'll be back! And thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment over on our site!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

Dianna said...

What a beautiful post!
I too am blown away when I thoroughly study the book of Job. It amazes me and challenges me every time. Here was a man faced with many trials yet he continued to praise and thank God for every one of them. He was so humble and genuine. And so deep! I sometimes wish I had his faith! I do have faith of course but compared to Job's faith I probably would waiver.
I hope the month of your husband's absence will pass quicker then you think. Make blogging world your friend:] We're here for you and we'll do the best we can to keep you company! Nice hearing from you! -

Wendy said...

I love the collages with Ryan and Jacob! So cute! He must love that! Arn't we so lucky to have such wonderful Daddy's for our kiddos!

Wesley had a really hard time the last month of school because it was so light in his room at bed time. We put a big thick blanket over his window to help. Now that schools out and we let him stay up he passes right out! I don't mind letting him stay up a little because he is good about sleeping in now. When he was younger he would get up soooo early no matter what time he went to bed! Drove me crazy! LOL! I guess the time is coming when I am going to have to drag him out of bed! HEE!!!

I can't believe that it is almost time for you all to move into the new house! It flew right by! Of course that means Ryan is leaving soon which is not so good:(

Drea said...

Looks like you got a wonderful father for Jacob there ;-) how sweet.

Tell Jacob the reason is so bright is because the sun has its night light on for him :-) Works for us!

Shanilie said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I enjoy each and every one of them!

Margo said...

you've been a very busy gal lately! Sweet pics of your men!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP