Finally - My New Hair Cut

30.5.07

I finally got my camera back this weekend - and remembered to take it with me. I don't know if there are others out there like me, but I seem to always forget things, whether it be things left after visiting someone, or forgetting to put something in Jacob's diaper bag. It is difficult to remember everything when there are already so many things on the go.

Anyway, here it is.....my new hair cut. I wanted something completely different than anything I have ever done before. I haven't ever had highlights before, but I have completely dyed my hair (black, platinum, red, and most colors in between) Since I had Jacob I haven't done a thing to my hair. It was dyed before I had him, but after several washes, the color got washed out and fuzzy. Since it has been cut, it has gotten rid of the fuzzy split ends and brought back my natural hair color....with blonde highlights. The hairdresser asked me if I wanted subtle or dramatic highlights and I said dramatic. I thought it would be a nice change....especially with summer on the way. She also added some long bangs to the left. I haven't had bangs before. My before picture doesn't really show how long my hair really was as it is an older picture (yup, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my hair before I cut it :S) that is as close as I could find. It was pretty much like that, only thicker, and longer. It is to my shoulders, and I haven't done that length in a long, long time. My hair was in a pony tail all day, so there is a bump in the back of my hair. Yea, this is me 'o-natural'.

As for other news, Ryan did get into the reserves! He gets 'sworn in' tomorrow! This should be a nervous, yet exciting time. He also gets his first military pay tomorrow too! :) He will be working every Thursday from now on, and he starts his classes/basic training from July 3rd to July 31st. It will be VERY difficult being apart for almost a month but like I have said before, it is a short-term pain for long-term gain. We celebrated with my Mom and sisters last night to tell them the great news.

Our weekend was quite eventful too. We met with the student exchange program to see if we could host a foreign exchange student....and we can! They said we were the exact, perfect suited, family they look for. She even said she wished there were more families like us so that more students could have this opportunity. I guess it is difficult for them to find good families to do this. The head lady from the organization came over on Sunday and met with us with 2 matches to our profile! A girl from Germany, and a girl from Brazil. My parents have done this in the past with two other girls (one from Japan, and one from Germany) and had a GREAT experience. Since we moved to NS we have haven't had many days where there weren't people over visiting. I love being near family and I can't wait to host these two girls. They will easily become a part of our family for sure. I will keep you updated on this. Everything is in the works and they will arrive in mid-late August.

To conclude all of these announcements, you can see that our lives are going to be turned upside down this summer with changes. We move into our new home June 29th, then 2 days later Ryan has to leave for a month! Thankfully we can quickly work our butts off and get everything moved in before he leaves. So much for renovating before we move our things in. Oh well, Ryan can do that when he gets back. Till then I will have plenty to keep me busy in the new place while Ryan is gone, I'll be getting the place liveable - painting, flooring etc...thankfully I have had lots of offers for help, not just for the three of us, but soon for the five of us. They will share a room together in our spare room of our house. Please keep us in your prayers during this crazy, exciting time.

P.S. I finally decided to get my nose pierced again. After the pain I went through to get the first one I vowed never to go through that again....but I guess after a while you forget what it was like. I want to do it some time this summer. I will keep you posted.

16 comments:

Wendy said...

I L.O.V.E your hair! It looks fabulous!! That is one of the styles that I always try to get with mine when I go in, but they always tell me that it is not thick enough! *BOO* You must feel so great!! Losing weight and having beautious hair!!

I had to laugh about you leaving your camera because I am ALWAYS leaving something when I go places! I left Lani's blanket and my sweatshirt and my friend Michelles! I usually leave my sunglasses places! That is why I have like 5 pair! Michael gets so grumpy at me because I can never find the car keys when we are about to leave somewhere!LOL!

How awesome, Ryan! Congratulations! I know it is going to be hard work, but you are a good man to do this for your family! I am sure the month will fly by Shanilie! Atleast it is Summer and you will have the house to keep you busy!

As for the nose piercing! OUCH!! I always wanted to get a very small one, but I am such a whimp!!

Andrea said...

Awesome hair!! It really does look SOOO good! :) Makes me want to go get my hair cut and highlighted! hehe :) And that's so fun that you're getting exchange students too! How long will they be with you? Oh yeah...and YAY YAY YAY that Ryan was accepted into the reserves!!!!

HeiressChild said...

hi shanilie, i love your hair. love the highlights, and you still have a great length. i've pretty much done everything to and with my hair except go bald. not ready for that one. *lol*

you seem to be taking ryan's upcoming short family hiatus very well. i know you'll miss each other, but that time will fly right on by.

i'm very organized, so i very, very, very seldom leave anything behind anywhere.

that's really loving of you to house exchange students, and what a rewarding experience for them.

i always wanted my nose pierced, but the thought of the pain makes me shudder. i've been thinking about it again, especially since i saw jordin sparks (american idol winner) with hers. still shuddering with thoughts of pain, ouch! *lol*

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" said...

Love the color!!!! Great cut!
You look great!

connie said...

I absolutely LOVE your new haircut & highlights~it looks fabulous!! I've had mine highlighted before & would love to have it done again but w/Bobby the only one working right now, we just don't have the funds. Yours looks awesome though :)

Congratulations to Ryan for being accepted into the reserves. Like everyone else has said, I know you guys will all miss each other while he's away but w/all the work you'll be doing w/your new home, it'll go by quickly! And congratulations again on that front (your new home) :)

What a wonderful thing you're going to be doing for the exchange student girls~I know they will be most appreciative :) YOu guys have awesome, giving hearts & it shows :) God will bless you guys enormously for what you'll be doing for those girls & he already is w/your new home ;) How lucky those girls will be to have a fun, loving home atmosphere :)

I will definitely keep you & your family in my prayers during this most eventful summer :) Take care my great blogger friend :)

Summer said...

Your hair looks great!

Congrats to Ryan!

Congrats to hosting the 2 girls. That should be fun.

I don't think I could get my nose pierced. I am not a fan of nose piercing but I'm sure you will look great when you get it done!

laura said...

hey :)
hte new haircut is awesome!!
man, i'm really jeallus of the two girls that are coming to you for their exchange...i wish i could come over for to you for such a long time again :(
i'm getting my final exams result tomorrow, pretty exciting. i already got the one from my oral exam and its an a+ :)
love, laura

Ute said...

Your hair looks great! Wow, what a difference. I would love to have long hair, but mine are so thin, they just don't grow after a certain length, even Johannas hair are already thicker than mine not to talk about Louisa's.
That look really suits you.

How exciting, you'll get an exchange student from Germany!!! Well keep me informed that she/he will behave nice, I don't want to hear any complaints...:-))

Dianna said...

Hooray on Ryan's job. Hooray for your exchange students and hooray on your house. I'm sure it will be lots of fun spicing up a new house. Enjoy your adventures. Hope we get to take a peek into it via blog world!

Ingrid said...

wow! you got one of those sophisticated cuts, hahaha, now i'm really jealous! kidding!!! and you got highlights, too????? wow! you really pampered yourself!!!! way to go, girl!!! you look good. makes me think if i should also get a haircut, ha ha ha!!!

Stacey said...

Your hair looks AMAZING!!

Dianna said...

Your hair looks super cool

Shanilie said...

Thank you everyone for the compliments. I am a little more critical of myself. It meant a lot!

Ellie said...

Hey, great hair! Don't you just love doing things to your hair? I do. You still do have long hair even after getting it cut!

About the exchange students...what a wonderful experience that will be. I will be so interested to hear more about that. I work with a lady who comes from Brazil...she says things like liv-ed...instead of lived...it is funny to hear her say some of her words..lol I am sure you will have a similar experience. But it is a good thing to do..

Margo said...

LOVE THE HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

Keira said...

Wow, it's been awhile since I've read peoples' blogs, the internet at my parents' being so slow. You have so much going on! First of all: I agree with the above commenters on how beautiful your hair is.
You have a lot going on this summer! I'm looking forward to reading about how things go with the exchange students, how Ryan does in the reserves, etc.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP