Dr.'s Appt's. - Looking At Homes - Milk

24.4.07

I am sure you are all tired of hearing me say that I have been really busy but haven't we all! So I won't bother going on about that. Not a whole lot of eventful things have been happening recently. Ryan and I both have doctor's appointments booked for Friday. Ryan has a follow-up appointment from his physical that he just had when he was at his meeting with the reserves. He had some traces of blood in his urine sample so they said that it could just be a contaminated sample, possible kidney stone, or it could be something as little or as slight as abladder infection....lets hope that's all it is. I have been getting at Ryan to drink more water and to cut back on the pop and coffee. He drinks a LOT of both. A coffee isn't bad in the morning but all through the day is a little much....especially when he goes through a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper very quickly. My appointment is just a follow up on my weight loss. I enjoy getting encouragement and direction from my doctor and I enjoy keeping track of everything along the way. He did a physical not to long ago as well as tested my blood for numerous things and everything was better than perfect. My cholesterol was always in the low-normal range and now it is even lower so I was glad about that. I said how could I make that better....he said that's about as good as it gets but then said I could eat more fruit etc. because that is where the good cholesterol comes from I guess. Right now I am focusing on keeping myself and my family healthy. If I am a few pounds heavier than I was in high school then so be it. Health is more important than looks to me.

As for an update on buying, we are looking at two more houses this week. We are still keeping our options open and they are both very affordable. Hopefully we can have an offer made on something by early next week. I will keep you posted.

As for other news, Jacob has always had a difficult time digestively with whole milk. He would have the runs all day. Poor boy would have a chafe by the end of the day he was going so often. I was constantly changing diapers. For a while I had to switch to 1% but I knew he needed the nutrients and fats from whole milk, so I compromised and used 2%. Even still he was getting the bare minimum recommended for him at his age. Several people mentioned soy milk but Jacob isn't allergic to dairy products so I didn't bother spending the extra $ in buying specialty milk. Plus, after more research I have found this out here:

"Soy formula and soy milk is often made with soy protein isolate, an extremely refined product lacking virtually all minerals and vitamins. Many soy formulas sold for infants are rich in trypsin-inhibitors which can stunt growth. And all contain staggering amounts of mineral-depleting phytates. The aluminum content of soy formula is 100 times greater than unprocessed milk. Aluminum has a toxic effects on infants kidneys and may be a cause of Alzheimer's in adults. Soy formula lack three important nutrients found in all milk: cholesterol, which is essential for brain development, and lactose and galactose, which play vital roles in the development and functioning of the nerves."

It also said that there are about as many people allergic to soy as who are allergic to lactose. I thought that those statistics were very interesting. Anyway, the point I was getting at was that my aunt Cathy invited me over for breakfast last week and I was drinking a glass of milk and enjoying it till she told me that it was pasteurized goat milk. It tasted EXACTLY like cows milk. I guess it has certain enzymes in it that help digestion. I don't know why I didn't think of it before but I went out and bought some and Jacob didn't even notice a difference and best of all.....he has only had one normal consistency poop a day all week!! Rather than acidic liquid BM's 5x+all day. So, as you can see I am pleased about that. Jacob is fine with cheese, and yogurt and mostly all other dairy products but it was just the milk. Ryan and I don't drink a lot of milk and Jacob only has a few glasses a day so really it won't be much of an adjustment if that is all we bought. Till he is older and his digestive system is a little more developed I think I will stick with this for a while. If our bodies can handle it I am not one for being too finicky about those things. So I am surprised that I am doing this. Oh well, it is definitely worth a try.

9 comments:

Connie said...

I think that's the situation w/everyone right now~being busy~w/the warmer, prettier weather, I'm finding I just don't have the time like I used to for blogging. I hope Ryan's ok & that his follow-up appt. goes well. I'm glad to hear that your appt. was so well~that's great! Did I miss something about you guys & a house~I thought you guys were buying the house where you live now? Anyway, I'm wishing you good luck w/whatever you choose to do :) That's interesting about the goat's milk~maybe that's the solution for Jacob~good luck w/that :)

Drea said...

Ive never had goat milk... but I dont like cows milk so I doubt Id like it :-) but I have had GOATS cheese... now thats yummy!!

Wendy said...

Good luck with the house hunting! It can be so exciting and scary at the same time:) Wesley had the same trouble with mil when he was younger but he has grown out of it! I gave him Lactaid!

Ute said...

Hi shanilie,
in summertime, I think, we all are busy outside and do not blog as often as in winter, so don't worry. I know goat milk, but here it really tastes different to cows milk. But it is interesting that it works for Jacob.

Shanilie said...

Connie: lol, yes we are all over the place. The house we are currently needs a lot of renovation and to get it insured we would be putting tens of thousands into renovating and I am just not ready for a project that big. The more we thought about it the more things we realized that we would have to do. I would rather spend a little bit more and have a place that doesn't need a whole lot done....at least the first time around...I guess we'll see. I'll keep you posted. Enjoy the sunshine~!

Drea: lol isn't that funny. I guess we are opposites that way...I have tried goat cheese but I never really cared for it...but like all cheeses it is different from day to day ;)

Wendy: What a great idea...lactaid. I may have to try that some time. You're right, in a lot of cases they do out grow it, that's why I am usually hesitant to take durastic measures over something so minor ;)

Ute: This milk was pasturized so they are mostly grain fed and not roaming like a lot of goat pets. Milk can taste different from animal to animal as well depending on what it eats and age etc. I am glad Jacob didn't mind it :)

Rebekah said...

I really enjoyed that quote about soy milk... I need to do some checking into it because we LOVE soy milk here. Logan had soy formula as well, so I'm hoping there aren't any negative effects on him from it... Alzheimer's?? that's a little scary!
One kind of milk that we all LOVE is almond milk. it is absolutely great for you and tastes so good I would drink it all day if I could.
anyways. just a thought.

Laura Funk said...

Hey Shan,
Jacob probably isn't allergic to milk, but it sounds like he could have a slight intolerance to milk. I have found that to be true for me also. I like cheese, yogurt etc, and milk. But the only thing that bothers me (flatulance wise) is milk and probably cheese. I don't have issues with diarrhea though. Anyway, I do usually pop a lactaid (like Wendy suggested) when I drink milk and my gas is waaaay less. you can get lactaid in several forms. You can buy lactaic milk which is more $ also. Or you can get pills and as far as I know is probably available in liquid that you can add some drops to your glass of milk before you drink it. If you want more info about lactaid, they have a site - www.lactaid.com. Hope this helps.
Laura
PS as far as I know, there is some lactose intolerance issue within the Gerbrandt family. Janelle used to have to have goat's milk, Uncle Tim and Crystal as well - so there is some history.... :)

Shanilie said...

Bek: Hey! Oh right, you did use soy for a while there. I don't think it is bad in older children and I think with any milk it has good and bad points so I don't think you need to worry just to put your mind at ease. The almond milk sounds interesting, I would enjoy trying it some time. You are always trying new things when I talk to you....that is fun. I am a creature of habbit lol.

Laura: Thanks for the comment :)) Yes, I don't think Jacob is allergic either I just think the high fats in whole milk get his bowels movin. lol Oh really, I didn't know that the gerbrandt family had a history of that?....I guess that would help explain things. Thannk you for shedding some light :) That is really neat that Janelle used to drink goat milk too. It is definitly worth a try that's for sure.

Dianna said...

I'm totally with you on the soy milk vs goat's milk. I knew that info about soy milk and totally stay away from it. I also don't give cows milk to my youngest but firmly believe in goats milk and that is what we are giving her to drink. Goats milk is the most nutritious milk in the market. But I would rather give cows milk then soy milk if I would have a choice between the two. But really goats milk is my number 1 choice!!! Way to go~

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP