Life Before Baby.........

10.1.07

* P.S. I just entered Jacob's picture for the Regis & Kelly Beautiful Baby Contest! Wish him luck! We enjoy getting involved in these sort of things. Keep your eyes open on the show as they show several baby pictures on the show daily. You never know you might just see Jacob there!
Several people have been wondering about our life before baby. How Ryan and I met, and was it really love at first sight. This will be a once in a life time post ……as you all know I don’t like to use the blog to splash pictures of me all over it and I don’t want my blog to be all about me. Anyway, I have been working on this post little by little for a while now and quite enjoying recalling all of the memories in the process

Ryan and I first met when we were both in Bible school. I had transferred into my junior year after I graduated from a more conservative and strict Bible institute before that. Here I thought I would train to be a missionary, but soon decided afterwards that I wanted to peruse my lifetime goal and that was to teach…… so I transferred to Prov. I was in my junior year and Ryan was in his senior year and we were both in the education program (which meant that we had a lot of the same classes together). I sat in the front, he sat in the back. I pretty much didn’t want to be one of those people who went to Bible school to find a husband (hence “Bridal school”).


I had a lot of guy friends, but none I wanted or even thought about spending the rest of my life with. I was still only 20. One day Ryan was walking from the library to the bathroom and I was sitting in the bench that was positioned in front of the bathroom doors and it was probably the first time I even noticed him. He was walking toward me and he gave me the cutest, biggest smile in the world and our eyes locked till he walked by. It was the most amazing feeling and I felt so special just in that one little smile. I announced to my friends while I was sitting on the bench right after he walked by “Now that is the man that I am going to marry!” After a lot of dates, walks, hanging out in dorm, and sitting together in class we finally made things official. I never wanted the cheesy “Will you go out with me” thing. It was a pretty much unsaid thing. Then April came and Ryan had his graduation, and that meant summer………… and I had to go across the country home. We had a great long distance relationship and really got to know each other. Ryan came to visit me at the end of summer and had already asked my parents if he could marry me. (he wanted to do that in person) To make a long story short we got married the next summer.
Our life before baby was pretty busy. Ryan and I graduated with our arts degree from Prov. and both decided to attend the University of Manitoba. I was heavily involved in his church, I was the Sunday school teacher for the 2-5 year olds and sang for praise and worship times & Ryan played the guitar. It was a very large church. Ryan lead the college and career groups through the week and also worked at the youth drop-in-center for troubled teens. With all of that, our jobs, being married and both attending school we were very busy. After Ryan finished at the University of Manitoba he decided to go to Acadia which was near my home town. So we packed our bags and moved back to my home. Not even a few days since we arrived home I found out that I was pregnant. I was on the pill at the time so it was a HUGE surprise. Ryan and I wanted to finish our schooling before we had children but I guess the Lord had other plans for us. While Ryan attended Acadia I taught grade 9 math/science at the nearby Christian school. It was such a wonderful year! I had the best students I could have ever asked for. I prayed with them every morning before I opened my class and every afternoon before school was out. Ryan and I were also the youth leaders for Sat. night meetings. Our lives were dedicated to the ministry and we were BUSY! Ryan finally graduated from….yes Acadia with his b-ed and found a job teaching history where we are currently now. We moved here and I played piano for my home church and Ryan was the chairman for the church on Sundays. He would open every service with prayer, announcements and praise and worship songs. Jacob was born April 21, 05 and it was the best thing that could have ever happened to us. I couldn’t have imagined what our lives would have been like without him. I am so glad that God had his own plan for my life. I met the love of my life and he was the kindest, huge hearted man I had ever met. Now I am a stay at home Mom for the time being and LOVING it! We are hoping to conceive for #2 later on in the year but we are not in any hurry. We are taking one day at a time and loving life as a family of three!


My Grade 9 Class (took the picture from my scrapbook)

These four pictures are from my Prov. yearbook.....can you tell where I am?

This is my grad column: B.A. Education studies


We always did wayyy to much shopping.

Down Town girls (Lw. Towns) My Dorm


A few pictures of the wedding I scrapbooked. As you have probably noticed I love to scrapbook. If anyone reading this is interested in starting, Creative Memories has some great products to get you started! Click here: Creative Memories ~Take a look!~


Through all I this time I have learned so much. I don't think I ever really understood God's love to the fullest untill I met Ryan. I understand God's love for me more and more because of the love that Ryan and I share. We have to remember that yes, God is a lot of things but ultimately he is the God of Love!


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

10 comments:

Rachael said...

Hey Shan! I love this post! You and Ryan make such a cute couple. I can still remember when I came to your school for a day and taught me :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shanilie. That story is so amazing. It's not everyday that you meet the man you are going to marry. You and Ryan are a cute couple, and you guys look really happy together.

Shanilie said...

Rach: Thanks! Had lots of fun that day.

Anonymous: Glad you enjoyed it! We are very happy! Have I been to your blog before?

Margo said...

Oh, my gosh!! What a great story. Thanks for sharing. You guys are really blessed to have each other.

mamaof2sweetangelboys said...

What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing that w/us :) I enjoyed this post :)

Amber said...

I love how after that one smile you announced that THAT was the man you were going to marry. How sweet!!

Ellie said...

What a nice story. You are truly blessed! I tape Regis and Kelly so I will try to watch for your baby's picture.

As for the garlic and cheese biscuit recipe. I have to admit, I cheated, but you may want to take notes. lol It was the first time I ever made them too. I found them in the grocery isle by the flour. The brand is Bisquick and you add a half a cup of water, mix and bake. It makes like six biscuits and they are simply melt in your mouth delicious! The compare to those you get at Red Lobster.

Ellie

Shanilie said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments!

Ellie: Thanks for the *recipe* :) I am deffinitly going to try them with my dinner tomorrow~!

Char's ramblings said...

Shan
That was a cool post I have always wondered how you guys met. But have never had the time to talk to you long enough to hear your story :) lol about the ring its fake.. I have worn a ring on my left hand for years.. don't know why just do. His name is Anthony and well we have been together for almost two years... and yes he is the one for me :D but we are not interested in marriage right now too expensive and we are comfortable with the way things are now :) Maybe someday when I am not so lazy I will post how we met. Anyway just wanted to say hi and that I love you and miss you and hope you have a good day :)

Shanilie said...

:))) Thanks Charity. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for poping buy. Anthony is a lucky guy I hope I can meet him some day. That is great that you are going to wait on getting married. The perfect day will come whenever you two are all set! I could tell you all about wedding planning....but it would take wayyyy too long. But there are ways to have a beautiful wedding for a very low cost:
1. make the groomsmen and bridesmaids pay for their own outfit
2. get family to make the food
3. Have a fake cake (which is very popular right now)
4. Flowers and Decorations are really the only cost but you can do what my friend Bek. from Boston did and she bought her flowers the night before the wedding from Superstore and bundled them up herself.....wayyyyy cheaper. Well that is my 2 cents worth. As for your dress, there are so many beautiful designer dresses out there that you can get from discount outlets or even used clothing stores. I have seen some ones I would have used.

Anyway, I hope things are going well in your new place. We should catch up come time. Have a great day. Luv u too!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP