Christmas Gatherings = FOOD

27.12.06

I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays! Now that we are settled back at home and not out visiting all day (like we usually do after we've opened our gifts) and with Jacob napping I can start bloging a little about our Christmas. I will just do little by little each day instead of doing it all at once, and taking all day!


On December 20th I decided to get started on my Christmas baking. I had been holding off long enough, plus with the illness in the family I had absolutely no time! Jacob has been good on and off for a couple of days. Though even this morning there was vomit in his crib. I don't know when it will completely end but I think that his stomach is still sensitive right now....and I am



sure with all of the sweets that he has been having doesn't help much either. He sure enjoyed those peanut butter balls (below). I ended up making rice crispy squares, unbaked cookies, coconut macaroons, caramel marshmallow squares, peanut butter balls, fudge, spider cookies, and double chocolate chip cookies. I also did a pumpkin spice cake that isn't in any of the pictures with cream cheese frosting and crushed walnuts over the top.


Our Christmas eve in past years was spent at my great grandmothers house (Jacob's great, great) but she recently needed more care as she is approaching her 95th birthday. She is now living with her daughter. Anyway, everyone in the family was wondering what they were going to do Christmas eve so I decided to have a little gathering of fun and games at my place with the immediate family, Gordie our neighbor and my grandparents Doe & Granddad. I made a cheese ball with crackers, blogger friend (Connie's) 6 layer Mexican dip (I didn't add olives...so I don't know if I got all the layers or not :-)) and cold sliced ham. My mom brought over sausage rolls and egg rolls and a ton of sweets, my brother brought over seafood chowder (SOOO GOOD), and Doe and Granddad brought biscuits and sandwiches. We had a LOT of food and a lot of leftovers so everyone took a plate of food home with them. Even today I am still eating leftovers from Christmas eve.


We all had a great time and afterwards enjoyed brochetta and a cheese fondue. It was in the center on another table (no picture:-( ) yum! We played a game called Loaded Questions. It was hilarious! We learned a lot about each other.

When the evening was over we headed over to my Mom's place and put the presents under the tree and hung up our stockings.











Jacob testing out ALL the sweets. He took a bite of one then took a little bite from another.









Cheese ball with crackers
"My first cheese ball ever!
It was a big hit!"













"Sweets"







4 comments:

mamaof2sweetangelboys said...

It sounds like you all had a really grat Christmas :) Thanks for the mention of me & my recipe :) Did you & everyone else like the dip? All your food pics look delicious~it's making me hungry! Well, I can't wait to read the rest of your story :) I will post later about our Christmas~I just updated my blog & posted the reason I haven't yet. Take care my blogger friend :)

Kimberley said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Christmas! Glad to hear that you are all feeling better as well.

Margo said...

I just put on 10 pounds just looking at all of that! Yum!

Shanilie said...

Connie: Thank you for the sweet comment. We all absolutely LOVED the dip. Even before everyone got there and started the evening it had already been eaten into. It was pretty much half eaten before we started loading our plates.

Kimberly: Thanks for the comment. Thankfully we are all on the mend.....now just to stay clear of those colds going around!

Margo: :-) lol. We always manage to have wayyy too much food for the gatherings we have......and I probably did gain those 10 pounds after that evening. I guess I will have to be diligent in the new year.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP