Thoughts & Musings

30.11.06

I usually just use the blog as a place to journal about Jacob but I thought that I might use it today as a place to share my thoughts and ideas.

There are many cats around my property. There is a church friend of ours that rents the barn/land that his 3 horses are staying at in our back yard and he LOVES cats! They are everywhere and I am sure that as long as they are not getting “fixed” then the cat population around here is going to be booming. But he loves each one of them and looks after them well. Anyway, one was wandering around near my place, and believe it or not but really bonded with my kittens. It was so cute to see them make a new friend. It is a beautiful cat and I just didn’t have the heart to leave it. Well it won its way into our hearts and our home so for now it is staying with us.


I think all animals should be outdoors but I let them stay in at different times through the day and not on furniture or in bedrooms….that way I never have to fuss with a litter and keep dander problem areas to a minimum. I have a litter just in case, but every pet I have ever owned has been an indoor/outdoor pet. I am still amazed though at how many people don’t like cats or animals in general because it's hard on their allergies. I thought I would share some information I recently heard. Keep in mind that I do have allergies to most things and have mild asthma.

The Facts on Pet Allergies Fact #1 - "Suffering from a pet allergy is quite common. An estimated 10% to 15% of the entire population may be allergic to animals, and more than 70% of U.S. households have a dog or a cat. According to the Humane Society, an estimated 1/3 of people who are allergic to cats (about 2 million people) live with at least one cat in their household anyway. Our research has found no increased risk of sensitization in children due to exposure to pets in the home, says study author Eva Rönmark."


(these are the people I am speaking to. So if anyone is reading this with an even more extreme case of allergies then this post doesn’t include you)


Fact # 2 - "Parents need to be aware also, that just because you don't have a pet, your child won't develop sensitization, adds Rönmark. Cat [and other] allergens can also be found where there are no cats - for example, in schools, where they can be transferred by clothes."


I just found this interesting. I have heard of so many occasions where people weren’t visiting because of having pets. There are many ways to minimize the effects of allergies, that is why so many people still have pets even with minor allergies. I was thinking if they are that particular than perhaps they shouldn’t be attending schools. Many children at school live with pets that are not looked after or houses that haven’t been kept clean and there would be just as much dander and other allergy causing materials sticking to peoples clothes and floating through the classroom than there would be in my house and that would be a short visit as compared to a child in a classroom all day every day of the school year. It is literally impossible to stay away from pets completely so lets just be realistic and not use cats as the excuse…..there are far more allergens out there. Trying to live without allergies is impossible but it is possible to control them. Let’s do that rather than living without the people who have pets. Blogs are great. I have been to several from time to time where there are pretty opposite views as me but blogs are personal and a place where you can express yourselves. Well enough about that. I will continue with what went on in my life today………..

Today Jacob got his Christmas pictures done at Wal-Mart. I looked EVERYWHERE and that literally was the only place that was taking any new appointments and I had been looking for a while. Every place told me they were booked up till the 27th of December. Next year I am going to have to start as early as October if I want to get my Christmas cards out on time next year. So, if anyone starts to wonder where their Christmas card is…..well I haven’t forgotten. The pictures just won’t be ready till Dec. 16th. They had two Christmasy backgrounds. One with a tree with presents under it and the other was a cabin with a sled leaned up against the side. This is the one that we chose for the pictures with just Jacob.

We were also able to get our family pictures professionally done. We had never done that before. I don’t usually like to send family pictures but rather just of the children ie. Jacob it is the children that most people are interested in but, everyone convinced me to do at least one package with the whole family. I think Jacob is more photogenic and should have been done just of him, but I am thankful that we have a family portrait now. My children will probably be all grown before I have another family picture done. No, I’m just kidding……maybe once before that. Lol. I'm just not one to do that sort of thing every year. Actually, my Mom is the same way. We had our family pictures taken last when I was 14 years old. I have been trying to convince her to do it now, now that my brother and I are married. Our family is continuously growing....and fast!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Shanilie :) That's a cute background for Jacob's pics! You will be posting one when you get them, right?!? :) Glad you were able to get a family one done too. We need to do that now that Kendall is here~the last time we had a family pic done was when Justin was 2 1/2! Hope you have a great day & weekend Shanilie :)

Shanilie said...

Oh yes....whenever I get the chance or access to a scanner I will post them on the blog for everyone to see. I don't like pictures of me so I intentionally try not to post them on the blog. So, I will consider it. But maybe just put the poses of Jacob.

Kiki said...

As someone with asthma and pet allergies, I do tend to visit friends less if they have animals inside. Sad but true. If I know in enough advance I try to take an allergy pill or something, but it makes it difficult to spontaneously visit people. It's worse in the winter, when everything's closed up. In the summer if people open their windows I find it a lot easier. Also if they have linoleum or wood floors as opposed to carpet. I'd love it if there would be a pet-free zone as well where I could retreat to if I felt the itchy/watery/nose plugging coming on.
Wow, that's a long list of demands! I'm a high maintenance friend!

Shanilie said...

lol, Thank you for your honesty Keria. I forgot that you had allergies. I can't remember a time when I didn't own any pets. I will deffinitly take your thoughts and suggestions into consideration. I don't want to miss out on any visits with people. I want it to be open and inviting to everyone. Though....I can understand how a home with 3 cats can turn off most people even without allergies lol.

I think this is the first time I have had more than one cat. But it is getting to be a lot of work.....hmmm perhaps I should start looking for homes. I think one pet is best.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP