Things I Love About Christmas

21.11.06

Christmas is the most wonderful time of year. There are so many things about Christmas that I absolutely love. Here are a few things that I will mention.
Celebrating Jesus’ birth, Almost every year Ryan and I try to get to at least 3-4 programs. We are usually involved in getting a service ready at our church with a play and music. In Truro we always go to The Living Christmas Tree Service, and of course any Christmas eve service when we can.

The lights, There is no better sign that Christmas is on the way when I start seeing all the outdoor lights on neighbors houses. We still have yet to put our blue ice sickle lights on the front of our house. Jacob is at the point now that when we drive by a house that is all lit up he will try to whistle but of course the only thing that comes out is air and says wow we. I am glad that he takes joy in the little things and appreciates the things around him.

The music, I have to admit that I have been listening to Christmas music for quite some time now. Mostly Kenny G or Chris Rice...all very instrumental and soothing after a busy day but at this point my favorite Christmas CD so far has got to be the one by Celine Dion These are special times. If any of you haven't heard it before you really HAVE to it is wonderful. You will love it!

Food, What would the holidays be like without a huge meal and a ton of sweets. Yes, I do go a little over board some times but I love food! Every year I try to find a few new recipes for some new sweet and always have a tray of mixed selections for when people come over. Never a dull moment in this house. Christmas dinner is another story, we all have our little favorites that we HAVE to have. My brother loves Brussel sprouts, me and my sisters it is peroges (we started incorporating those into our meals back when I was in grade 5 and living in Saskatoon) my best friends mom was a Ukraine peroge chef and every time I visited them she was making peroges! I fell in love with them, learned how to make them and have had them as a side dish in almost every special time of year. You have to try it. If you love mashed potatoes and cheese you will love it. Here is the recipe:

~ Peroges “Potato and Cheese Pockets”~
Dough:
1 cup oil
3 cups flour
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon salt
Keep adding ingredients until you have the right consistency of a soft dough.
Filling:
2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
5 large boiled potatoes
2 tablespoons salt
1 large onion chopped finely
Add all ingredients into mashed potatoes while they are still hot so the cheese will all melt together. Put 1-2 teaspoons of filling onto rolled out dough that was cut into circles by a medium cup or cookie cutter. Seal edge so that it has the half moon shape. Place on cookie sheet and bake till golden.
Family, There is always a lot of visiting over the holidays. Later on Christmas eve as our tradition goes me and all my aunts and uncles go to my great grandmothers house and watch her open her presents. She is going on 95! Christmas morning we have our one big Christmas gift opening at my parents and sometimes after opening gifts very early in the morning I will make it in time to watch Doe & Granddad open their gifts. After all the gifts are open we will eat…..again then without fail visit every person around and they show off everything they got for Christmas. So much fun!

The smells, I don’t know if you know what I mean by the smells of Christmas but there is nothing nicer than the smell of a freshly cut Christmas tree, eggnog, hot chocolate and I usually have cinnamon sticks simmering as potpourri. mmmm

The decorations, As you all know I have had my decorations up for a while now. We are waiting till December to put the tree up because Ryan REALLY wants a real tree this year so we will go to the back yard and pick out some Charlie Brown tree I am sure. If we cut it too early there will be no needles left on the tree for Christmas day lol! Well, actually we have a very little tree decorated with the "special" ornaments. (We usually get a new family ornament every year). but with this Charlie Brown tree I have something a little different planned. I am going to try and make it the most old fashioned tree possible. (something new I am going to try this year) It will be filled with candy canes, ribbon, hand made croched and cross stitched ornaments, gingerbread men and maybe popcorn as the garland. Lets just hope Jacob and my cats wont eat everything off of the tree JK. (I will take pictures for everyone to see once it is up).

Holiday movies, Just to name a couple of movies that I really enjoy watching over the holidays is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. For years now my family and I have made it almost a “tradition” to watch it every year. We pick someone’s house, bring snacks and watch it there. It is an older movie but for a more recent Christmas movie that I love is ELF! It got me laughing so hard I couldn’t stop for at least 5 minutes! To my fellow bloggers, if you want a good funny, family movie to watch then Elf is it! To name Jacob's favorite it is Polar Express. It is so full of color and has a lot of music which he loves.

3 comments:

Connie said...

This is such a wonderful post Shanilie! I loved reading all of your traditions. This is the MOST wonderful time of the year! Happy holidays :)

Kiki said...

Wow, Jacob is getting so big already. What a cutie!
I'm actually starting to get excited about the holidays, as long as I stay away from the malls (they drive me insane at this time of year). But we do not have enough snow yet. Winter sports are just about the only sports I love.
Skating on the pond! Cross-country skiing! These are the things I look forward to.

Christine said...

Hey Shan and Ryan,

I found my way on here today and wow, your baby has sure grown, he is looking wonderfully happy (and you sound overjoyed with him)! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and many wonderful memories are made! Enjoy the perogies and some day you should try cottage cheese ones they are different but still so good. Or blueberry ones with lemon sauce for dessert! Sorry, just trying to share the awesome flavors!

Christine Onyschuk

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP